Gluten-free Restaurants/Bakeries & Takeaways in Jeddah
By: Gypsy Girl
In my column last month, I wrote about “Gluten-free resources in Jeddah“. This month, I will talk about ‘Gluten-free restaurants/takeaways in Jeddah’. In the next month, I will write about ‘Gluten free alternatives in Jeddah’.
South- Indian restaurants in Jeddah offer delicious gluten-free dishes that are really cheap and affordable.
1. Aryaa’s Restaurant, King Fahad Road, Sharafiya. Tel.no.012 6322910
2. Chennai Darbar, As Sahafa Street, Azizya. Tel. no.012 287 0475
3. Holidays Restaurant, Balad. Tel.no. 012 649 4947
Some of the gluten-free south-Indian traditional snacks that you can for breakfast and light evening snacks are:
- Dosas: Crispy, goldarn brown pancakes usually served with lentil soup and coconut chutney. It is made out of rice and Bengal gram.
- Masala dosas: same as above but has a spicy potato filling.
- Medu vadas: are savory doughnuts, made out of Bengal gram that is deep fried served with lentil soup and coconut chutney.
- Idli: steam cooked, fluffy and soft cakes made out of rice and Bengal gram and served with lentil soup and coconut chutney.
- Pongal: steaming hot flavorsome snack made out of broken rice and Bengal gram and served with lentil soup and coconut chutney.
Sri Lankan restaurants in Sharafiya also carry gluten-free snacks:
1. World Restaurant: Shara Huda, near Abu Bakar al Siddiq Mosque
2. Arab Lanka restaurant, 2839 Dhu an Nurayan, Al Sharafiya
You can order the following steam-cooked dishes that can be frozen:
- Hoppers: rice noodles
- Puttu: Broken rice that are cooked into cylindrical shapes with fresh coconut.
For people who need a dessert fix, do try traditional date/herb shops for millet cakes, gluten-free date desserts. Also, the following places:
1. Desserts: Dorenta Gourmet: +966505689983, Almond Station: +966546238499
2. Café Magad, Historical Balad: has gluten-free cake Mobile 0505308610/ 0553892077
3. There is a small local bakery right opposite Café Magad (No.2) that sells millet bread that is freshly baked and for very low prices. Mob.: +966 535411473
4. Bai Bakery, al Mohmadiya Tel. No. 012 238 8897: sells sourdough bread
Please remember to read about ‘Gluten-free alternatives in Jeddah’ next month…